Friday, May 1, 2009

An Attempt to Recapture Curry Noodles

This is another adventure in replacing the long, lost tomato in my day to day diet. Spaghetti and other noodles are a mainstay around here. It's kinda hard to raise kids without a weekly (at least) night devoted to that tomatoed temptress of carbs, but we've been limited to either Peanut Butter Sesame Noodles or Balsamic Bruscetta Noodles. It is starting to feel a bit repetitive because we're now missing just good old Veggie Spaghetti. So, I suppose it's time that I get down to business and come up with some new ways to dress my pasta.

Another flavor I've been missing is the Curry Noodles that Trader Joe's used to have. Oh, they were so divine with a little EVOO, Onion Powder (the cheap, 2 for $1 crap from Wal-Mart for some reason worked best) and diced Pink Lady or Cameo Apples! I ate that almost everyday for about a year for one meal or another. But, like all things the Trader Joe's has carried and I've become addicted to, it was a short lived product and nothing even remotely like it is available anywhere that I can find. I've tried and miserably failed to recreate the flavor using curry powder on noodles.

Tonight I will try to blend the feel of a kid friendly Spaghetti Dinner with the Curry Noodle thing in this concoction I came up with.

3 cloves Garlic minced
1 Medium Onion diced
1 pound Cauliflower Florettes
2 cups of Sweet Peas (maybe... I haven't decided yet since we had peas last night.)
2 cups Plain Soy Yogurt
2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbs Pataks Biryani Curry Paste
1-2 tbs Sriracha Hot Sauce

I will sautee the Onions and Garlic, then add the Cauliflower and cook until it's about halfway tender. Then I will mix in the Yogurt, Curry Paste and Sriracha and as much water as is necessary to bring it to the consistency of Alfredo Sauce. Then I'll add the Peas and let it simmer until the Peas turn bright green and I'll put it over Spaghetti Noodles.

We'll see how it turns out, but I have high hopes for this one.

If this does turn out well I will take pics and post the final recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment