Friday, April 17, 2009

Sprouting Love

I've been trying not to succumb to the emptiness left behind by tomatoes. I can't eat them any more. At the beginning of March I finally figured out that those big, juicy, red beauties were to blame for an allergic reaction that had been driving me crazy and even prevented me from wearing my wedding ring for 5 years. Now, I'm tomato free, rash free and searching for fresh flavors to replace that diva of the deadly nightshades.

Since Christmas, I've been making my own fresh veggie burgers. It used to seem unimaginable to have a burger without tomatoes, but I've been having fun using other fresh fruit and veg like loads of baby spinach, thinly sliced cucumber, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and various sprouts. It's made life a lot more flavorful and interesting of late. I realized, I've been addicted to tomatoes; I'd become culinarily co-dependant.

Ever since that first veggie burger loaded with sprouts I've been trying all sorts of new sprouts. There is a farm in Pennsylvania that is in some way affiliated with The Sproutman & it puts out various sprout salads. We're not talking your run of the mill clover or alfalfa. These salads are something you can really sink your teeth into; they're comprised of sprouts the likes of which I'd not yet tasted, like garbanzo sprouts, azuki bean sprouts, different lentil sprouts and snow pea sprouts.






I've been coming up with as many ways as I can to load up on sprouts. I put some on every sandwich and wrap that comes my way. They are nutritious, delicious and have fantastic textures. I love sprouts!

I think that the excitement over sprouts has been an inspiration to eat fresh, vibrant, raw foods and that just can't be bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment